Skip to main content

Blackwood Miners' Institute


Built as a welfare institute in 1925 with miners' contributions. By the 1980s the building had fallen into disrepair and the Trustees sold the building to Islwyn Borough Council in 1989. The building was resuscitated in 1992 with funding from the Welsh Office and Islwyn Borough Council and now includes the Memorial Theatre, two bars, a restaurant and gallery area.

The Memorial Theatre is the centrepiece of the venue with a flat floor, raked at the rear, within a plain-walled auditorium with minimal decoration and a curved barrel ceiling divided by a series of decorated arches. No balcony. The proscenium stage has a grid and there is an orchestra pit which can accommodate 30 musicians.

The free standing building has a stone façade in three bays of three storeys. The outer two advanced with stepped parapets. Ground floor with rusticated ashlar piers; plain ashlar above; free rather than classical ornament to windows and pilasters.

Built / Converted
Dates of use
  • 1925 : until when unknown.
  • 1992 : continuing
Current state
Current use
Arts Centre (core regional arts centre)
High Street, Blackwood, Gwent, NP12 1BB, Wales
Further details
Other names
Blackwood Miners' Welfare Institute
  • 1925 Design/Construction:
    F Beaton (Islwyn Borough Council)
    - Architect
  • 1925 Use: until when unknown.
  • 1989 Owner/Management: Islwyn Borough Council - later Caerphilly County Borough Council, owners.
  • 1992 Alteration: refurbished and reopened (architect unknown).
  • 1992 Use: continuing
  • Capacity
  • Capacity
  • Listing
    Not listed
Stage type
Pros flat
Building dimensions: -
Stage dimensions: Depth: 5m, apron 1.25m Width: 11m
Proscenium width: 7.1m
Height to grid: No grid
Inside proscenium: -
Orchestra pit: None